Wednesday 11 December 2013

Cameron House, Loch Lomond

So, as I said in my last post the second half of my long weekend went a little bit better than the first half! 

We spent the night in Cameron House, a 5* hotel on the banks of Loch Lomond that is part of the De Vere Hotel chain. 

I have stopped in De Vere hotels and  De Vere lodges  a number of times and have never had a bad experience but this was my first time at Cameron House.  It didn't disappoint! 


I forgot to take a photograph of the outside of the building!
Credit for this photo goes to www.rciventures.com.
There's nothing better than walking into a hotel room and seeing a plate of sweets and a 'welcome' note to make you feel instantly at home. 



Our room was one of the most basic 'standard' rooms, but felt ridiculously sumptuous (even more so following the sleepless night I'd had the night before!) and the bed was so comfortable I found myself having a nap about 10 minutes after I'd got in to the room. 


We were supposed to have a garden view, but got a Loch view instead - this was definitely a happy mistake!  Even on a rainy, grey day the view was stunning. 



There's a strange feeling in Cameron House - it's a huge building, but the traditional decor and subdued lighting make it feel homely and cosy.  You could almost think you were staying in a boutique city hotel, rather than a country house!  I really liked this feel to it. 


A quick outfit shot in one of the long corridors - this is what was
hiding under the big fur coat in my boat picture! 

On this visit, we didn't eat in the hotel restaurant and popped to Balloch instead, a little town that is only a 10 minute drive up the road. 

We found a gorgeous restaurant called The Kilted Skirlie in the Loch Lomond Shores shopping centre and had a 'private dining' experience due to the fact that there was only our party in there!  Apparently, this is not a common occurrence and the weather was putting other patrons (who aren't as used to the wind and rain as we are!) off.

The food was gorgeous.  I opted for a goats cheese tart for starters and sea bass and seasonal roast vegetables for my main. 


Bonus points for the fact we were given
Christmas Crackers! 

The fish was cooked to perfection - the portion was huge, but it was so good I couldn't bring myself to leave any.  This meant I didn't have any room for a pudding, but Hubs had a Knickerbockerglory that I managed to steal a few spoonfuls of and I can confirm that it was absolutely delicious! 

The next day Hubs was playing golf at the Carrick Golf Course (part of the Cameron House set up, but about 15 minutes away from the main hotel) so after a gorgeous breakfast in the hotel I spent some time mooching around the shops in Balloch, wandering around the hotel grounds and drinking hot chocolate in The Claret Jug clubhouse.

There's a Spa based at the Carrick too, which is perfect for killing an hour or so while you're waiting for the golf to finish.  Timings weren't in my favour this time round (my fault - I forgot to book anything!) but it is well worth a visit and they often have brilliant special offers on, so you can have a complete pamper for a fraction of the price. 

I left Cameron House feeling completely relaxed, even though it was a flying visit and it's left me completely looking forward to spending Christmas Week at another De Vere Hotel - Slaley Hall in Hexham.  We'll be in a lodge this time round, so it's a completely different experience. 

What did you get up to last weekend?  Are you getting as fed up of the rainy and windy weather as I am?

I can't believe it's Hump Day already - this week is going way too fast!  

x

PS.  I just wanted to say that all views in this post are my own and I've not been asked by either of the companies mentioned to provide any reviews, I just genuinely think they are lovely places and thought they deserved some good words!



No comments:

Post a Comment