Tuesday 11 November 2014

Bad Blogger Catch Up

So, it's become clear over the past many few months that I'm not great at this 'regular posting' thing.  Life just gets in the way a little bit but I really want to get this little blog going!

I've got a few things swimming around in my head that I'd like to put posts together for but in the meantime, a little catch up of what 'life' has involved over the past little while...




1.  My car exploded.  Yep, my little 10-year-old, faithful, reliable car exploded on the motorway.  Okay, so it wasn't a proper explosion... he actually just overheated and dropped his coolant all over the motorway but being flashed by a lorry driver 'cause your car looks like it's on fire, while you're overtaking in the middle lane, at 11:45pm, in the dark, isn't the greatest experience.  Anyway, the poor little Streetka has gone to the great car dealership in the sky and I had to find an alternative.  Enter 'Meep' the Fiat 500... I LOVE this car.  Mainly 'cause it looks ridiculously cute (the headlights actually look like they have eyelashes!), it's fun and easy to drive and has modern things like a temperature sensor and heated rear windscreen (old SK didn't have such luxuries!).  I don't care that it only has a 1000cc engine and goes from 0-60 in 2 minutes, it's perfect for tootling around the 'city'. 

2.  We redecorated our spare room and have turned it in to a second lounge, complete with desperately uncomfortable sofa bed for when people do want to stop over.  The double bed we used to have in there took up the whole room and we rarely had people stopping so we've taken the plunge.  Somehow, everyone now wants to stop to test out the sofa bed - how does that work?!  Anyway, I'm particularly proud of the little photo wall we've put together with black and white prints of all the countries we've been to.  

3.  Definitely the worst weekend I've had in a long, long time.  Harry the Cat started breathing really heavily gasping for air, so we rushed her to the vets.  They kept her in during the day and when we went back to collect her that evening we were given the horrible news that she had heart failure and was very, very poorly (she's 14, so no spring chicken).  They had removed a lot of fluid from her lungs (this had effectively been drowning her, which had caused the breathing problems).  The prognosis wasn't good.  We were given some tablets and took her home that night but the vet said she wouldn't get better and we should prepare for the worst when we took her back a couple of days later.  I cried so much that whole weekend, especially when she seemed to pick up and get back to her old self.  I felt like we would be taking her back to the vets and sealing her fate.  Happily, it didn't end up like that.  It turned out the tablets were really helping and she had shown a huge improvement.  We took her back a couple of times over the next few weeks and things continued to get better - she's now on two-monthly visits and she's doing really, really well.  The vet said that cats with this condition usually survive for a 'few' months, whereas dogs can last for years...  Harry was diagnosed in August and she's still doing well now, so fingers crossed she might be a bit dog about this whole thing and be with us for a lot longer.  

4.  From something very sad to something very happy-making - we went to Vienna!!  This was our customary Eurovision-winner trip, since Austria took first place.  I fell in love with the city.  The buildings, the parks, the people.... I felt so at home and could happily have stayed longer.  There will definitely be a blog post about this trip. 

5.  Another little trip, this time a little closer to home (albeit, it's the other end of the country)... We spent our 4th wedding anniversary at the stunning Waterside Inn in Bray.  We stayed in one of the gorgeous rooms overlooking the Thames, ate the tasting menu in the beautifully-French 3-Michelin-star restaurant and then enjoyed breakfast served in our room the next morning.  We snook in a little visit to The Hinds Head for lunch the next day too, so safe to say we didn't need feeding for the next few days!  

6.  I Dymo-stickered my nail polish collection.  How I can say I don't have time to blog and then sit and spend hours doing this, I don't know.  I painted each colour on a colour wheel and then labelled the corresponding bottles... Then the labels peeled off.  Every single one of them.  So, what we have learned is: this is a really bad idea.  Don't do it. 

I think that's enough of an update now.  If you made it this far, thanks for reading and check back again sometime soon.  There will be more posts, I promise!    

Aimee x



No comments:

Post a Comment