Wednesday 22 January 2014

Paris Flashback Day 2

We woke bright and early on Day 2 to try and make the most of the gorgeous weather and gorgeous city?  First stop was a trip to the patisserie up the road to stock up on sweet stuff for breakfast, so we could sit in front of the window and eat while we were looking at the Tower. 


Terrible picture... That's an eclair, but you get the drift?! Pretty view. 

After we had eaten more confectionary than two human beings should eat, we headed off to explore further.  I've got to say we should have been at Disneyland Paris at this point, we had free tickets from Sky and that was what inspired the whole Paris trip in the first place, but there were so many things I wanted to see in the city that we decided to pass on Disney. Sorry Mickey! 



We headed over to Les Invalides, an army museum, to admire the rows of blue cannons outside and the huge metal gates.  We gave going in to the museum a miss, it's not really our thing, but the building itself was impressive enough to make it worth a visit. 

We carried on walking along the Seine, until we found ourselves back at Notre Dame.  It was nice to see the amazing architecture in a different light.  The exterior was so impressive that we decided to queue up (about 10 minutes) to go inside and look around.  No pictures - sorry! - but trust me, it was beautiful inside.  


It took a little while for my eyes to adapt to the bright sunshine again when we stepped back out!

Once I'd regained vision we carried on our stroll along the river and came across a guilded, sparkling bridge.


Closer inspection showed that it was actually covered in padlocks, with declarations of love engraved on them, aka a 'love lock'.


I didn't have a clue this existed and I was gutted not to have anything to leave (there were vendors selling padlocks on the river banks but at 15EUR each for something we could get for £2 at Wilkos we decided to pass!) but I will definitely be taking one with me when we go back. 

We started heading back to the apartment via Champs Élysées when Hubs directed me towards Avenue George V and straight in to Balenciaga!  He knew I'd had my eye on a 'Town' bag for a while and has been saving up.  Well, we had a wedding anniversary coming up in a few weeks so he put in the extra money I needed and I walked out of there with my very first Bal bag! 


Of course, my new bag had to come out for dinner with us that evening.  Turns out, it matched perfectly with a kimono-style top I'd packed. The colour is Rose Thulian, sorry for the bad lighting!


We headed over to explore the more arty section of the city and chose a lovely little restaurant where we could sit outside and people watch.  The bartender was great fun, chatting to us about our trip, where we were from... He even managed to persuade me to do something I never though I would: I ate snails!




All caught on camera by darling Hubs!! And yip, more Lipton Ice Tea in the background.

If you're wondering, the snails were gorgeous!  They really just tasted like garlic mushrooms.  I would definitely eat them again.  I've got frogs legs on my list of things to try next time! 

A couple of glasses of wine and a wander back to the apartment to watch the light show again and day 2 was over. 

What's the strangest thing you've ever eaten, that you never thought you would?  What would you write on your love lock?  Drop me a comment and let me know! 

Day 3 will be up on the blog soon.

Thanks for reading.

Aimee x





















No comments:

Post a Comment