Monday 19 January 2015

The Review: Magnitone Lucid

I know I promised a review on this a little sooner but I got the flu and have just about dragged myself through work over the past few days, so the prospect of having to keep my eyes open past 6:30pm to even attempt to write a blog post was just too much to contemplate!

I'm fighting fit again now though, so here comes the review on what I am convinced is the best beauty product/tool/thing I have ever purchased.

If you're not already aware of the Magnitone Lucid, I'll give you a little bit of an overview; it's an electronic cleansing and exfoliating brush, designed to provide a deeper cleanse to your skin and leave you with fresh, smooth and radiant skin.  Magnitone are so confident with their product's effectiveness that they promise you will notice a difference in your skin within 7 days.  After two uses my husband commented on how smooth and soft my skin looked, so there's definitely something to be said for it!

         


The Product

The Lucid is the smaller, travel-size version of the Magnitone brush.  There is a larger version available, which I think can also be used for body cleansing and exfoliating but the Lucid is easily big enough for facial use.  The brush head vibrates and rotates, so the brush gets deep in to your pores to exfoliate and cleanse.  The brush heads need to replaced every 2 - 3 months, or as soon as the bristles start to splay or discolour and it's about £16 for two heads.

The Lucid comes in 5 different colours - blue, yellow, light pink, hot pink and mint green.  I opted for the mint green for no real reason, other than I'm trying to move away from surrounding myself with pink things!  All the colours are lovely.

I'm in love with the charger that comes with it, too and I never thought I would find myself saying such things about a charger but...  To make the brush completely waterproof (it can be used in the shower) there's no input-hole-thingy.  The power cord (which comes with interchangeable plug heads so it can easily be used in the UK or abroad) is attached to a little, white, magnetic box which then sticks to the brush handle and charges.  It's a great idea for something you want to leave lying about in a wet room, without fear of electrocution.

The Routine

As I've mentioned before on this blog: I have very temperamental skin.  It's oily-combination and isn't impartial to throwing up blemishes whenever it feels like it.  I've just managed to find a cleansing routine that really works for me and has cleared my skin up beautifully (I'm thinking about posting my routine on here, so let me know if it's something you'd be interested in), so I was a bit nervous about introducing something new, especially when I'd read a number of reviews that said the Magnitone makes things worse before they get better, but I decided to bite the bullet.

I made sure to follow the instructions to the letter.  The brush has two modes; a sensitive and normal mode.  I used the sensitive mode for the first 5 days, just as it told me to, while my skin got used to the deeper cleanse.  I used the brush morning and evening, for no more than one minute at each time and moved it over my skin in circular motions, letting the brush glide over my skin, without pushing.  The timing part is easy; you get 20 seconds to spend on your forehead, then the brush beeps to tell you to move on.  Then you get another 20 seconds to split between both cheeks, then the brush beeps to tell you to move on again.  Then you get a final 20 seconds to do your chin, nose and neck before the brush switches itself off.  Trust me when I say, you don't need any longer than 1 minute for this to work it's magic - anything more is too much and is likely to irritate the skin.

The Purge

I'd read so many reviews before investing in this product as, at £69.99 (although I got mine on sale for £50), it's a lot to spend on something that might not work and one common thread in every story was 'the skin purge'.  Basically, the brush exfoliates and brings so much badness to the surface - the same way a good facial does - that it's likely to cause some breakouts for the first few uses.  This is something Magnitone themselves state in the instruction book, so it isn't something unexpected.  I thought I would be guaranteed to have a reaction but other than one or two blemishes, mainly on my forehead, there hasn't been a huge volcanic eruption, like I expected.

There's a couple of things I've made a point of doing, that I think might have helped with this.  Firstly, when I'm taking my make up off in the evening, I cleanse my face with my normal cleanser first, the way I used to.  I'm no skin care expert but I can't imagine scrubbing make up in to your face is the best way to keep blemishes at bay!  When I've cleansed my skin by hand, then I use the brush.  One thing that has disgusted amazed me is how much make up is left on the brush when the cleansing has finished!  It's made me realise how much I was missing with my old routine.  Secondly, I've made a point of cleaning the brush thoroughly, with a little bit of cleanser, after every use.  I think this has really helped with my skin's happy reaction.

                 


The 5 Days

Once you've used the sensitive mode for 5 days and your skin is more used to the more intense cleansing, Magnitone suggest stepping up to normal mode.  I did this, very obediently and used normal mode morning and night.  This was where I did have a little bit of a reaction.  My skin was very red after cleansing and I noticed more blemishes - not huge great ones, but more than I had been getting.  While my make up was going on a lot smoother, I was finding I was putting more make up on after my morning cleanse, to cover up the redness and then once the redness died down, I had way more concealer on than I needed.  I decided to downgrade the intensity a little bit and moved on to a normal cleanse in the evening and a sensitive cleanse in the morning.  This reduced my blemishes, almost immediately and eliminated the redness, so I think this is the right routine for me.

The Opinion

You can probably tell already but I am absolutely in love with this product!  It has made such a noticeable difference to my skin; the way it feels, it looks so much brighter and smoother, my make up applies so much better and lasts so much longer.  I actually find the whole experience really relaxing, too.  I have to shut my eyes because the brush sprays a little cleanser while it's rotating and the feeling of the brush gliding across the skin and vibrating slightly is very calming.  It's like a little mini facial twice a day!  It's very usable and it a very comfortable size, easy to hold and operate plus, it looks very pretty on my bathroom shelf.

I have one downside; the timer for the cheek section is one 20 second timer, even though you have to split it in to 10 seconds per cheek.  This means having to count to 10 twice and I don't want to be doing that when I'm concentrating on relaxing.  Two separate 10 second timers would have been much better but if that's the only negative thing I can think of to say, that makes for a pretty good rating!

I would definitely recommend this product to anyone looking for brighter, smoother or clearer skin.  It's worth the investment.

Hope you enjoyed this very long review...  I really need to start writing shorter posts!  Have you tried the Magnitone Lucid or any other face brush?  What were your thoughts?

Aimee x


PS  For the avoidance of any doubt - I was not in any way sponsored or paid to do this post.  The lovely people at Magnitone have no idea that me or this blog exist!  I just wanted to let you all know what a fab product I think this is and it might just help you discover something that really works for you too. :) 





No comments:

Post a Comment