Sunday 11 January 2015

The Ten Nail Polishes Every Woman Should Own?


During a random lunch time reading session I stumbled across this article on dailymakeover stating the 10 nail polish colours every woman must own.  Now, I am a nail polish addict.  I can admit it.  I have more nail polish than I'll ever be able to wear and there's still a huge amount that I'm coveting.  

So, I was curious to know if I have the '10 nail polishes every woman should own' or if there's still some I need to add to my collection...


The answer is:  yes.  Yes, I do own one of each of them.  As if there was ever really any doubt!   Shame though, as I would have liked the excuse to buy another polish! 

Anyway, here's my picks...


Classic Red - China Glaze 'Igniting Love' - It's the first one and already, I feel like I've cheated! This maybe isn't a 'classic red' but I have OPI 'Big Red Apple' and 'Keys To My Karma' and they just don't compare to 'Igniting Love'.  This is a stunning red, leaning very much towards orange, but it just looks beautiful.  It is my favourite red and the main one I pick up.  If I've got a meeting or something important that I need 'power nails' for (I'm hoping that's a real thing and I'm not the only one in the world who feels more confident if my nails are good!) this is the one I reach for.  

Light Pink -  OPI 'I Think In Pink' - This, to me, is the perfect light pink.  It builds up well and gives a lovely 'gel' effect when it dries on the nail - all thick and jelly-like.  It's a pure baby pink but is very warm with it - I have very pale hands and this doesn't make me look washed out at all.  This is one bottle that I'm actually halfway through, so there's a good chance I might manage to finish it and if I do, I'll definitely be buying another bottle. 

Hot Pink - OPI 'Kiss Me On My Tulips' - A gorgeous, blue-toned pink that screams 'summer'.  It's the colour for pairing with a deep tan, denim shorts and white tees...  Closely followed by some sort of jacket/cover up when I realise I live in the UK, not Australia!  Again, this is a bottle I've managed to get half way through and would happily repurchase. 



Glitter - OPI 'My Favourite Ornament' - This glitter was from the Christmas Collection but it's suprisingly subtle (as subtle as a glitter can be!) so it's wearable all year round.  It's a champagne colour,  with tightly packed glitter particles, so it only needs 2 layers to provide a full opaque coverage.  Yes, it's the perfect choice for Christmas time and aids with the quest to look like a giant glitter ball but it's also great to add a little dazzle to a simple evening outfit (LBD and heels anyone?) or just to liven your nails up if you're having a boring week! 

Nude - Essie 'Topless and Barefoot' - This is a new polish to my collection and if I'd written this blog post a month earlier my choice for this would have been OPI Bubble Bath (which I still think is the perfect French mani base) but Topless & Barefoot has taken the crown.  This polish gives me mannequin hands but has enough warm tones running through it that it doesn't make me look like I've stolen them from a ghost.  It's also completely opaque after 2 coats and is a great base for glitter topcoats. 

White - OPI 'Don't Touch My Tutu' - Again, probably a strange choice for this one, as I also have OPI 'Alpine Snow' which is a much more opaque white but 'Don't Touch My Tutu' is a beautiful, sheer jelly white, which can be built up to opacity with 3 or 4 coats.  As it's more of a jelly formula it doesn't look as harsh and is a bit more 'wearable' on an every day basis. 


Metallic - OPI 'Haven't The Foggiest' - For me, 'metallic' had to be silver and this one by OPI gives the perfect foil-like effect.  It's a very dark metallic, so is more suited and wearable for winter but again, looks just as good for every day wear as it does with an LBD to give a little bit of oomph!  

Grey - Essie 'Power Clutch' - Another winter colour and this grey is so deep it's almost black but it definitely ticks the 'classy' and 'sophisticated' boxes for me.  Application is perfect and it's the colour that will go with, literally, anything.  Another new one to my collection but it's become a fave very quickly. 

Navy - China Glaze 'One Track Mind' - Another new one (told you, I have a problem!) from the past couple of months and I am completely in love with this one!  A navy blue that tilts from pure blue to almost-black depending on how the light hits it.  It's easy to wear and a very sophisticated colour but with a little bit of a rock-chick edge.  More of a winter colour but I love it so much I'll probably break the rules for this one and it'll make an appearance in the sunshine! 

Lavender - OPI 'You're Such A Budapest' - This one was on my nails pretty much constantly last spring.  A gorgeous periwinkle purple with a light blue tint it's such an easy to wear shade, it can almost be treated as a neutral.  There's a very light shimmer running through the polish, so it isn't your typical flat pastel shade.  Another one I'm halfway through and would definitely repurchase. 


There's been no excuses to buy any new polishes but it's been nice to look at my collection and see what's actually there, as it's easy to forget sometimes!  A lot of the colours in this post are ones that I've used frequently and I'm further through the bottles than I realised, so maybe there can be some new polish in the not-too-distant future after all! 


Have you got a polish that fits every colour category?  Are there any polishes, different to the ones I've listed, you think I should try?  I am missing a light grey, so if there's any suggestions for that please let me know!

Thanks for reading.

Aimee x














1 comment:

  1. Hi, I just nominated you for the Liebster Award! Couldn't find an email so I will post the link here, can't wait to read yours if you care to share :)

    http://www.stilettointhecloud.com/2015/01/liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete